Brick in your home has many functions. Not only does it give support where needed, but it is also aesthetically appealing to the eye. That is until it starts to absorb much of the dirt and contaminants that exist in your environment.
Once brick accumulates dirt and other contaminants, it loses its beauty and can make your whole house look dingy and dated. But fear not, you don’t have to think about replacing your brick to get that look back. In most cases, a thorough cleaning should do the trick.
Washing Brick Can Be Simple
It is pretty easy to do the basic cleaning yourself in most cases. However, here are a few basic guidelines to help you do this:
- First, remove any loose dirt from the brick with a broom or a vacuum.
- Use a spray bottle with water to thoroughly wet the brick.
- Combine baking soda, dishwashing liquid, and water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the surface and the brick and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. The paste will allow the cleaning solution to work on the surface dirt before being washed off.
- Soak a masonry sponge with warm water and thoroughly rinse the paste from the brick.
These steps will usually do the trick for most interior walls. However, if you are cleaning exterior brick, you might want to consider pressure washing as a better way to get the job done.
Professional Help is The Answer
However, there may be times when you need extra help to remove stubborn stains from your brick. These usually occur when mold, mildew, or algae build up on exterior walls. Before tackling this job head-on, it is recommended that you allow the brick to rest for a day or two before applying any additional cleaning solutions, especially when you’re working with old or aged brick.
If you don’t feel satisfied with the results after doing these things, it may be time to call in the cavalry and have a professional cleaner to get the job done. But, in the end, you will get the natural beauty of brick back, and your home will have the elegance and luxury it had in its younger days.